A very warm welcome to Year 5
Other adults in the classroom
Mrs Arnold and Mrs Selwood
This Term’s Topics
This term’s History topic will be the Anglo Saxons, and we will be inspired by this in our music and art lessons as well as our history lessons.
The topic we will be exploring in Science will be Earth and Beyond.
This goes out on a Friday and is expected to be completed by Wednesday. If there are any problems please let one of us know by Monday so we can help.
· Reading together at home every night.
· Spellings to learn
· Mental maths skills (times tables/ number bonds/ number facts)
· Literacy based activity or an investigation type activity.
There may also be project work from time to time and children may sometimes be asked to bring in resources or complete a project with you at home.
· Children arrive at school before the morning bell at 8.30am and are picked up from school at 3.15pm when the school day ends. Children can become quite nervous/agitated when parents are late. In fairness to your son or daughter please let the school know if you are going to be late.
· Book bags must come to school every day.
· Children are expected to read at home every night (some of the time with you) and to fill in their reading journals. Please countersign their entries at least 3 times a week.
· PE kits must come into school every Monday.
· Homework is expected in on Wednesdays.
Our reading library
As we focus many of our English lessons around a book for every half term the children will work to design a reading area that is fun and comfortable. At the moment the reading room is being set up as Bradley Chalker’s bedroom from this half term’s book.
Learning about Learning
In Year 5 children are beginning to take on more responsibility for managing their own learning and behaviour. They will begin to realize that they have control and are in control of what they say and what they do. Children will be supported as they discover the impact of their engagement in class has on themselves and on their classmates. Included in this the children will be learning about the skills needed to learn and how to use them.
We are always available to discuss any concerns or answer any questions you may have at the end of each day. If you would rather discuss your concerns in more detail please make an appointment with the office.
I look forward to getting to know you and your terrific group of children.
Children will need their PE kits in school every Monday.
Their kits should include:
White/ green t-shirt (Children must change their shirt for PE)
Tracksuit bottoms (black or green)
Trainers (Children cannot wear their school shoes for PE)
Every Wednesday, the children will have a swimming lesson from 2.30pm - 3pm. Lessons commence on Wednesday 12th September until Wednesday 23rd November.
Every child needs a water bottle with a sports cap – children will only be allowed WATER in class.
We will have fruit time each day after play and children will have need to bring in a piece of fruit.