Promoting Fundamental British Values
In accordance with The Department for Education, we aim to actively promote British values in schools to ensure young people leave school prepared for life in modern Britain. Pupils are encouraged to regard people of all faiths, races and cultures with respect and tolerance and understand that while different people may hold different views about what is ‘right’ and ‘wrong’, all people living in England are subject to its law.
The Key Values are:
The children’s understanding of these values is encouraged through the curriculum, discussion in class and as a school. It is reinforced by the democratic structure of our school council and our behaviour system. British values underpin our school rules and aspirations.
We feel that the exploration and encouragement of British values will:
· Enable students to develop their self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence
· Enable students to distinguish right from wrong and to respect the civil and criminal law of England
· Encourage students to accept responsibility for their behaviour, show initiative, and to understand how they can contribute positively to the lives of those living and working in the locality of the school and to society more widely
· Enable students to acquire a broad general knowledge of and respect for public institutions and services in England
· Further tolerance and harmony between different cultural traditions by enabling students to acquire an appreciation for and respect for their own and other cultures
· Encourage respect for other people, and
· Encourage respect for democracy and support for participation in the democratic processes, including respect for the basis on which the law is made and applied in England.
At St. Peter's Church of England (VA) will meet the objectives for British Values in the following ways:
|Rule of Law||
Mutual Respect for Those with Different Faiths, Beliefs and those Without Faith
British Values In Action St Peter's
At St. Peter's, we pride ourselves on instilling our British values across our school. The values of democracy, tolerance, rule of law, mutual respect and individual liberty permeate throughout our lessons.
One of the most important ways we develop our knowledge of British Values is through our PHSE and soon to be RSE curriculum. Please look at the document below in which is clearly outlines how and when each value is taught and supported.