How will the school prepare and support my child when joining St. Peter's or transferring to a new school?
We recognize that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND, and we take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.
- If your child is joining us from another school:
- Your child will be able to visit our school and stay for a taster session, if this is appropriate.
- The SENCo will liaise with the previous school in preparation for transfer.
- If your child is moving to another school:
- We will contact the school SENCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child. Where possible, a planning meeting will take place with the SENCo from the new school.
- We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
When moving classes in school:
- Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. SEND 2 page profiles will be shared with the new teacher.
In Year 6:
- The SENCo will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCo of the child’s secondary school. In most cases, a transition review meeting to which you will be invited will take place with the SENCo from the new school.
- Your child will participate in focused learning relating to aspects of transition, to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
- Where possible, your child will visit their new school on several occasions, and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.
- The Emotional Resilience Officer may work with your child in the last term in primary school to prepare for transition.